Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] package python: compiles on multi-target

From: Václav Šmilauer
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] package python: compiles on multi-target
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 09:31:32 +0100

there is a number of reasons why it might be legitimely cross-compiled - (a) some programs might only link to python*.dll for embedding python, not really using the executable (b) some, written in python (hence using python*.exe), need (cross-)compiled python modules (that needs a python installation as well).

I haven't looked into it, but in the case of (b) I'm not sure anything but the python headers are required to compile module extensions. These aren't going to be statically linked, the only project I know that does something like that is PyRun [1]. I know I must be missing something ;)
You still need to DLL to do the final link of the compiled module, I guess. I need to look at that more closely, because there are two pythons involved: host python for modules built using distutils/setuptools/distutils2/distribute, and target python for headers/DLL for linking. I think distutils handle that, but IIRC it is not always without trouble.

My personal intent with MXE+python is to eventually distribute NSIS installer for program built from a bunch of python scripts / pure python modules / compiled modules using [1]; that looks similar to what PyRun does.

Cheers, Vaclav

[1] https://www.pyinstaller.org/