Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Status of build with shared libraries

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Status of build with shared libraries
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:56:22 +1100

On 21/10/2013, at 12:32 AM, Peter Rockett <address@hidden> wrote:

>> is anyone really going to want multiple toolchains simultaneously?
>
> Erm... yes. For different projects. Two distinct toolchains imposes a
> maintenance  burden on users.

I'm not sure what the maintenance burden is, you just run mxe as normal and end
up with some prefixed compilers. So far, I've looked at building these in
separate phases so the toolchains will be distinct. You will have either:

i686-pc-mingw32.static-gcc
i686-pc-mingw32.shared-gcc

in your PATH, or

export PATH=~/mxe/usr/static/bin
i686-pc-mingw32-gcc

export PATH=~/mxe/usr/shared/bin
i686-pc-mingw32-gcc

to select the variant. Static and shared libs can probably be built in a single
pass (I don't have much experience with this), but the threading/exception
variants can't. It's the same as deciding against multi-lib compilers when
introducing 64-bit support - if we did that we wouldn't now be able to support
multiple runtimes. I guess it's a trade-off between extra build times and
future flexibility so you can swap toolchains by changing a variable.

The other option of a single toolchain (along the lines `make LIB_TYPE=shared
…`) will mean users have to do the directory and PATH management themselves if
they want to use different variants side-by-side.

Cheers,

Tony