Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Status of build with shared libraries

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Status of build with shared libraries
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 18:22:05 +1100

On 22/10/2013, at 5:20 PM, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> However, that might be too much of a hack, so I
>>> prefer the "i686-pc-mingw32.static" style.
>>
>> Only problem with the "vendor" segment is that gcc apparently uses *-w64-*
>> to enable features.
>
> If that's the only issue ... can we tell GCC to
> always enable/disable the "*-w64-*" features,
> independent from the actual "vendor" segment?

They're not so much features as internal build rules like instruction sets and
directory layouts that we'd have to know about and keep track of. These are
sometimes specified as "i[[3456789]]86-w64-mingw*)" and "*-w64-mingw*" so
there's really no good way around it. At least they don't hard code mingw32 so
it's possible in the future that the confusing x86_64-w64-mingw32 can be
changed - other than many other build systems do look for mingw32. All in all,
it seems easier to use the canonical triplets with suffixes.

>> The $(MXE_CONFIGURE_OPTS) variable takes care of a lot

The MXE_CONFIGURE_OPTS sets the host, build, prefix,
[dis|en]able-[shared|static] options, but now I'm wondering if that makes the
build rules too opaque. Take a look at expat[1], is that concise or obscure?

Thanks,

Tony

[1] https://github.com/tonytheodore/mxe/blob/shared-using-target/src/expat.mk