[Mldonkey-users] Re: Re: resuming after connection loss

From: Sebastian Luque
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Re: resuming after connection loss
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:25:38 -0600

axel wrote:

> ah, now i understand, with "connection lost" you meant just the connection
> of the gui to the mldonkey core, so the core may still be running and
> downloading just fine.
> this either means that the core has crashed and the gui lost ist connection
> because of that, or the gui lost connection for some other reason(like a bug
> in the gui). if it is for some other reason than a crashed core reconnecting
> the gui should do the trick.

Sorry, I see that I didn't understand what was going on. Based on what you're
saying, I must have experienced both sort of problems in different
occassions: connection lost between the gui and the mldonkey core, and
internet connection loss (loss of signal in the cable). In both cases, what
actually happened was the "not connected" message got displayed in the status
bar of the gui and everything got erased from the list of downloads. If the
internet connection was also lost for some time during the night, then I
would also see problems with other programs. It didn't occur to me to restart
the gui.

> i dont't know wich gui you are using, i prefer sancho
> http://sancho-gui.sourceforge.net/ .
> but you don't need a gui at all, the mldonkey core has a built in webserver
> (called webinterface in mldonkey terminology) that offers all the
> functionality the guis do. simply open your browser and connect to
> http://localhost:4080 .

Very neat, I didn't see all of this in the documentation. I'm using a hard
disk installation of Knoppix, so I'm using Debian packages mldonkey-server
and mldonkey-gui. I don't like that gui as the buttons don't work properly (I
have to press them for a long time or twice) and I always have to readjust
the width of columns so the info fits in them. I will look more into
mldonkey.el for Emacs and Sancho as you suggested.

Thanks again.
--
Best wishes,
Sebastian