Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defc

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defcd6b0d889edcff0bb0fe6180a376
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 12:08:44 +0100

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Hmm, my knowledge of "cvs import" (and I'm guessing I'm not alone
> here?) is that "cvs import is for creating new projects". :-)

Oh?  I must admit I've never thought of it in those terms: it's always
been about the rather specific task of importing some version of some
external source.  The options also support that:

Synopsis: import [OPTIONS] REPOSITORY VENDOR_TAG RELEASE_TAG(S)

You can use it to start a new project from some sources you've
created, I guess.  I'm not sure I would: I tend to think of it as
providing a way to keep track (on a separate vendor branch) of
external sources, and a way to help merging those with local
modifications.

>> njs> In paricular, the problem is that people keep thinking that if
>> njs> they want to start working on an existing project, they should do
>> njs> "setup; checkout".
>>
>> Huh???  Why do people think they should setup for an existing project?
>> I'm a bit baffled here.  And I'm a bit baffled that I haven't heard of
>> similar problems with other SCMs with similar functionality...
>
> Well, they want the directory foo/ to be a working directory for
> working on the UltraFoo9000.  So they have to set it up as a working
> directory, and then put the code they want to work on into it, right?

That seems strange to me: for an existing project you check out the
source and work on it.  That's what you do in every other system
(including cvs), isn't it?  (In some it's called "clone" or something,
but it's obviously the same idea.)

I think I'd regard using "setup" to work on something that's already
in monotone as user error, and not worry too much about it.  I
wouldn't have thought it would be a common mistake?