[Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defcd6b0

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defcd6b0d889edcff0bb0fe6180a376
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:35:52 +0200

Nathaniel Smith writes:
Hmm, my knowledge of "cvs import" (and I'm guessing I'm not alone
here?) is that "cvs import is for creating new projects". :-)

It's true that you can do that, but note that it doesn't convert the directory you imported into a working directory. You actually have to checkout the imported stuff into a separate directory. The cvs import command is, however, really made to import external source into a vendor branch (and that's actually what it does when you import your own source, or just an empty directory), again and again, thereby tracking it. That's where this command shows it's full power. See http://ximbiot.com/cvs/wiki/index.php?title=CVS--Concurrent_Versions_System_ v1.12.12.1:_Tracking_third-party_sources
It is if 'import' is for importing projects to source control, and the
previous revision is by definition null.
For the (almost unrelated and much less central?) use case of checking
in a snapshot of some other source as a child of another revision, it
seems like we should just have:
 $ monotone co -r $OLDREV

At this point, we need to remove the contents, except for the MT directory, or 'drop --missing' would simply not work.
 $ <drop new stuff on top>
 $ monotone drop --missing
 $ monotone add --new
 $ monotone commit

That's more or less what I think a full importing command should do. And if there is no previous revision on the requested branch, it will simply create a first revision on that branch.
or so -- the point being that we should have some convenient way to
issue the relevant add/drop commands, which is generally useful (e.g.,
the options above, or mercurial has a special command 'addremove', I
believe), but since that's _all_ that's special about importing
external snapshots, there shouldn't be any specially named command for
doing so...?

OK, that's an opinion. I still maintain that a command the just adds a MT directory with contents to the designated directory will confuse most of the world (and particularly those who went in CVS school, which should be quite a lot of people).
Cheers,
Richard
-----
http://richard.levitte.org/