Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:57:33 +0100

rghetta wrote:

Btw, something in Yury's example made me think a bit, and it occured
to me that if the database line ending would be CRLF and we only
convert from and to the platform specific line ending, we would have
something reversible the way I understand "reversible" (this is under
the condition that no file ever magically appears in the database
without having been committed to it).  And in this case, it would work
to do this with ALL files back and forth, even non-transformables.
I don't understand what you mean. Under your definition of
non-transformable and reversible, any file with embedded CRLF can't be
properly converted "back and forth".
Trasformable files, however, can be converted correctly wathever is the
normalized line ending.
+1 Wouldn't this be a good check to determine what is transformable file?

I think monotone should *not* change the file unless instructed to do
so, i.e. every file should be non-transformable by default.
Are we talking about what the default lua hook should do?

Transformable files instead could be converted between "equivalent"
forms, e.g. with a different line endings, with a final line ending
sequence attached, a different encoding, and so on.
Even these transformations should be explicitly requested, imho.

Perhaps we should consider a set of attributes (explicitly or through
tables) describing how to treat a file when committing, merging,
checking out.
Some of these attributes could be overriden by the user, to allow for
different line ending or merge tool preferences.
I think we could still get away without attributes... IMHO we could even get away without migration... Monotone could just start treating the untransformable files as such, could it not?

Zbynek

--
http://zw.matfyz.cz/     http://robotika.cz/
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic