Re: [Monotone-devel] list branches on server?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] list branches on server?
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 08:19:56 -0400

Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 21:10 -0600, Derek Scherger wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Timothy Brownawell
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>>           * version skew wrt libstdc++, eg boost and monotone have
>>           different ideas of what exactly an std::string looks like
>>
>> Fantastic. Can you elaborate on this? I wonder how it's even possible
>> when boost is built with the same libstdc++ as monotone on my machine?
>
> Say your distribution is on gcc 3.4 so that's what boost is compiled
> with, and the binary on our site was compiled with 4.0. Or even if you
> compile it yourself, but you've installed a later version of gcc than
> the version that your distro is currently using.

This applies to any library written in C++, not just Boost. Botan is
in C++.

And it applies to C libraries as well, but apparently they are
more stable?

In general, anyone experimenting with new versions of compilers has to
be aware of such issues, and compile everything consistently.

The mtn binary for Linux on the mtn website should be more fully
described (compiler version, required dynamic library versions), so
people can do the right thing with it.

--
-- Stephe