Re: [Monotone-devel] list branches on server?

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] list branches on server?
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:15:32 -0500

On Sun, 2009-08-23 at 08:20 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:
> Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 21:10 -0600, Derek Scherger wrote:
> >> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Timothy Brownawell
> >> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> >>           * version skew wrt libstdc++, eg boost and monotone have
> >>           different ideas of what exactly an std::string looks like
> >>
> >> Fantastic. Can you elaborate on this? I wonder how it's even possible
> >> when boost is built with the same libstdc++ as monotone on my machine?
> >
> > Say your distribution is on gcc 3.4 so that's what boost is compiled
> > with, and the binary on our site was compiled with 4.0. Or even if you
> > compile it yourself, but you've installed a later version of gcc than
> > the version that your distro is currently using.
>
> This applies to any library written in C++, not just Boost. Botan is
> in C++.
>
> And it applies to C libraries as well, but apparently they are
> more stable?
>
> In general, anyone experimenting with new versions of compilers has to
> be aware of such issues, and compile everything consistently.

Yes... I guess what made this a "boost issue" is that boost was the only
library we didn't bundle at the time.

> The mtn binary for Linux on the mtn website should be more fully
> described (compiler version, required dynamic library versions), so
> people can do the right thing with it.

Which would require people to know what gcc version their distro is
using. This seems reasonable to expect of people coding in C or
C++, but what of everyone else (particularly if they can't do
"gcc --version" because it isn't installed)?

Do you know of a way to detect at runtime which compiler version was
used for the libraries?