myexperiment-discuss

RE: [Myexperiment-discuss] API questions: runners, Remote Execution Serv

From: David R Newman
Subject: RE: [Myexperiment-discuss] API questions: runners, Remote Execution Service
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 23:06:21 -0000

Hi Wladmir,

Question 1:

When you set a runner as being owned by a group, it will not appear in the XML for you as a user as that only lists contributions (e.g. workflows, runners, etc.) owned by you, annotations (e.g. tags, comments, etc.) created by you and friends, memberships, etc.  However, thanks for bringing this to our attention, as the correct behaviour should be to list it under runners in the group XML.  The REST API should be updated shortly to do provide this.

Question 2:

I will have to leave the details about the implementation status of the posting to the Jobs API to Don Cruickshank.  In theory you should be able to access a listing of all runners you as a user have access to (runners.xml) and individual XML for each of these runners (runner.xml?id=n).  However, I believe there may be a issue with runners.xml that needs resolving first.  The one problem with your plan of circumnavigating creating a myExperiment job, is that runners have a password that you cannot get back through the REST API for obvious reasons.  If you could get hold of the password separately then you could do something like you suggest.  The purpose of runners in myExperiment is to allow you to automatically upload workflow executions.  The purpose of being able to make it owned by a  group is to support a proxy facility where one person can open up a runner to multiple users without having to share the password.

Hope this helps,

David Newman