Re: [nmh-workers] mhshow: invalid BASE64 encoding in --

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] mhshow: invalid BASE64 encoding in --
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 17:29:16 -0400

>My reading of RFC2045 says a conforming base64 decoder is allowed to toss out
>the blanks and the '!' char and decode the rest.
>
>   Any characters outside of the base64 alphabet are to be ignored in
>   base64-encoded data.
>
>Yeah.  That's pretty definitive. :)

Oh, hm, you know you learn something new every day, and this is my new
thing for today.  As much as I've read RFC 2045 over the years, I missed
this!  (This is in §6.8, in case others want to look it up).

So that suggests to me that we are in fact NOT being RFC-conforming with
this behavior, and we should just silently ignore the bad characters.
Does anyone disagree with this interpretation?

--Ken