Re: [nmh-workers] mhshow: invalid BASE64 encoding in --

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] mhshow: invalid BASE64 encoding in --
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 21:50:05 -0400

Ken wrote:

> That message is a single text/plain part with a C-T-E of base64; I think
> by definition the whole message body is supposed to be considered base64
> data.

I think the message is invalid.  If we want to salvage what we can from it,
I'm all for it.  But that should be done carefully.

> And how do we know that those characters are AFTER the base64
> data?

For the purpose of interpreting RFC 2045, we do know in this case.

> It sure seems to me from the RFC that it is permissible to ignore
> characters that are not part of the base64 alphabet.

"in base64-encoded data"

> And really, I think
> we are the only MUA that errors out in this way; just on pure usability
> we aren't doing great.

I agree.  I think this is a job for mhfixmsg, not making the parser more
lenient.

David