Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR files with nonlinearly encoded RGB

From: Boudewijn Rempt
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR files with nonlinearly encoded RGB
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:45:02 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015, Elle Stone wrote:

Floating point tiff doesn't seem to be as well supported as OpenEXR in the various free/libre editing applications. For example at present Krita 2.9 can't read or write a floating point tiff but reads and writes OpenEXR images with no problems.

Yes... But that's just a stupid bug because in 2008 or so, when we wrote the support for 32 bit/channel tiff files, we didn't realize we mixing up integers and floats. And nobody ever tried that feature ever since!

I'll get down to fixing it after the next release :-)

Apparently the tiff specs encompass many different ways of writing an image.

From a user perspective, if tiff (or PPM) doesn't work for sharing high bit depth RGB data between ICC profile color managed editing applications, maybe the applications can read and write OpenEXR.