Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR files with nonlinearly encoded RGB

From: Elle Stone
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR files with nonlinearly encoded RGB
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:02:00 -0500

On 02/23/2015 11:45 AM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015, Elle Stone wrote:

Floating point tiff doesn't seem to be as well supported as OpenEXR in
the various free/libre editing applications. For example at present
Krita 2.9 can't read or write a floating point tiff but reads and
writes OpenEXR images with no problems.

Yes... But that's just a stupid bug because in 2008 or so, when we wrote
the support for 32 bit/channel tiff files, we didn't realize we mixing
up integers and floats. And nobody ever tried that feature ever since!

I'll get down to fixing it after the next release :-)

I know that! :) . The comments about "Krita not reading floating point tiffs" and "tiffs having various ways to write files" weren't meant to be read as causally linked in any way! But I've been attempting to share floating point tiffs between different editing applications for several years now, and there does seem to often be a "communication gap". I've never had an OpenEXR image not open correctly when shared between applications that read and write OpenEXR, as long as the right ICC profile is assigned upon opening.

Elle