pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Posting Binaries

From: Jim Reiss
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Posting Binaries
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:23:10 -0700 (MST)

> >        IMO, Pan should just utilize these tools that already exist,
> > rather than doing all the posting stuff over again... but for those
> > of us too impatient to wait, the tools are out there.  :)
> I totally disagree with you.  Pan is a good newsreader but it is
> incomplete because I cannot post binaries with it and participate in
> the binary newsgroups, which is important to me.
I can't resist...a newsREADER is incomplete because its posting
capabilities are limited?  Does that really follow?  Look what you get
when you try to put everying into one tool...Outlook.  Yech.  Can't do
anything well but does a lot with mediocrity.

However, it sounds to me like you missed the point above.  Seems
the idea was to extend Pan with the capabilities you're seeking, but
not reinvent the wheel by putting it all into the Pan source code when
there are already tools out there that could be accessed by Pan.  The
suggestion to use a separate tool was as a stopgap until the hooks can
be put into place.

> Until Pan
> incorporates the code to post attachments, and binary attachments in
> particular, why not just call newspost from within Pan?  That would at
> least provide some functionality.
With a graphical tool you likely have a desktop with shortcuts...can't
you just click on a news posting program's icon and have almost the same
convenience?

> I dislike having a multitude of packages I have to call independantly;
> why can't Pan include them?
>From what I've seen most input on this thread has been in favor of
adding this...just with the concern that it not impact the stability of
the existing features that are at the core of a newsreader.