pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: has development of pan stopped since januari 2004?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: has development of pan stopped since januari 2004?
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:06:47 -0700

Charles Kerr posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:52:10 -0600:

> Anyway, let me know what you find after running klibido for awhile.
> Pan's multiserver will come when it comes, and a Qt frontend isn't
> planned at all, but it would be nice to steal any ideas worth stealing.

Yes, the code borrowing thing is nice... I've wondered before why it isn't
more common or more talked about anyway, in the community.  For instance,
a long time ago, I used to suggest that text news and mail readers could
borrow the line wrapping code from lynx/links, if /nothing/ else.  For
that matter, they could borrow much of the HTML rendering code intact,
with a few security changes perhaps, because web-bugging wouldn't be an
issue since they don't do images, and if the scripting code wasn't carried
over at all... that would effectively leave a nice text-mode HTML
rendering engine suitable for rendering HTML posts as well.

Note that I've never been one to like HTML posts, but borrowing the
wrapping code has always seemed like it's make sense.

I hadn't been aware that PAN formerly used BerkleyDB.  I guess that must
have been pre-0.11 since that's when I switched from MSWormOS and came to
PAN.  Your comments on version incompatibility there definitely reinforce
what I was saying, however.  That alone should be a good reason to switch
to SQLite.

What's be /really/ interesting would be if klibido decided to use SQLite
and the same db field layout, and eventually, back end handling merged and
it and PAN became QT/KDE and GTK front-ends to the same backend code!  One
can anyway dream.  <g>  Of course, if my other dream comes to fruition and
PAN with SQLite becomes part of an entire application ecosystem, with
separate media player and media manager front-ends to the same back-end
data storage mechanism, such that one could click a button in their XMMS
or KJuke clone and up pops info including the subject line, author, group,
and date of the newspost the song or movie was sourced from, well... <g>

As for klibido itself, the page is in my bookmarks now, and as I said, I
looked it over, but I've yet to install it, so I don't know how it
actually works, yet.  I tend to move much slower than most on that sort of
stuff, taking a couple years to switch to Linux after I decided I was
going to, and months to switch to Gentoo, but when I finally do load it up
and run it, I get far more involved than the average person with it, as
can be seen by my involvement with the PAN lists/groups over the last
couple years, too.  So.. we'll see how it goes over time, I guess.

Benjamin Franklin