pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: My adventures when building from git

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: My adventures when building from git
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 13:26:23 +0200

On Sat 25 Jul 2009 at 08:12:08 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Of course the question then is, which git repository did you pull from,
> the official pan upstream at gnome, or K. Haley's newer branch,
> integrating several of the outstanding patches, likely including the
> gmime-2.4 patch?

I used K. Haley's newer branch. For experimental purposes (including
playing with git) it seems more interesting.

[ about gmime-versions ]
> If it's possible to have them installed in parallel on Gentoo, then
> (possibly with some work,) it should also be possible on other *ix,
> including the NetBSD you said you're running.

NetBSD (or rather pkgsrc; it is supported on many more OSes than just
NetBSD) has something to enable it to install different versions of
packages in parallel, but for some reason it never became default. I
tried it for a while in the past, and it seemed to have some rough edges
still. As far as I could see, it didn't quite deal with programs that
have plugins.

Fortunately, gmime is only used by Pan on my system, so if I want to
swap between the versions, it doesn't bother anything else.

I must say, btw, that I find it rather annoying of gmime that it is
apparently not backwards compatible, needing updates for -2.4. Gnome
libraries seem to have a general history of such lack of backwards
compatibility. Now if the API changes are necessary because of bugs that
are completely unfixable otherwise, I'd grudgingly agree with the need,
but otherwise...

> But meanwhile, whichever git you are using apparently hadn't resolved
> that gmime version required inconsistency properly.  If it's K. Haley's
> he'll very likely see this and update it within days.

Well, that was one of the purposes of my mail.

> Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert    -- You author it, and I'll reader it.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl      -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.