pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: My adventures when building from git

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: My adventures when building from git
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 03:36:07 +0000 (UTC)

Rhialto <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 26 Jul 2009
22:09:06 +0200:

> On Sat 25 Jul 2009 at 22:21:15 +0200, Rhialto wrote:
>> On Sat 25 Jul 2009 at 13:41:00 -0600, K. Haley wrote:
>> > I got distracted and forgot to mention that GMIME 2.2 & 2.4 can be
>> > installed at the same time without conflict.  I currently have both.
>>
>> Ah, good to know. I stopped looking when pkgsrc claimed that they
>> conflict. I'll see if/how I can get that fixed.
>
> I found out why they are marked as conflicting. Most files have a
> version number in their name somewhere, except uuencode and uudecode,
> which are installed in the .../bin directory. Both versions install
> them, hence the conflict. In practice of use, I expect that it won't
> matter much if one version or the other is there, but for a package
> manager it would be a problem.

Hmm, the 2.2.23 (slot-0) package provides gmime-uu(en|de)code here.
Presumably the 2.4 slotted packages provide gmime24-uu(en|de)code.
Either that or put them in an appropriately named subdir somewhere.

That's the problem when directly executable binaries are shipped with
versioned shared-object/library binaries.  There's others (uu(en|de)view,
at least) on my system that could be symlinked to uu(en|de)code here, as
well.  But uu<tab> doesn't list any uu(en|de)code executables in the
path, at all, which is fine by me.