Re: --nest for nested argument files

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: --nest for nested argument files
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 17:43:06 +0200

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Rhys Ulerich <rhys.ulerich@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Following a recent discussion on the list I have given some thought to
>>> making an option --nest.
>
>> My first thought was --multiply (as in multiply list 1 with list 2)
>> but I agree that --nest (as in nested for loops) is better.
>
> Hmm... along the lines of --multiply I'd have said --outer as in outer
> product.  You could then also have --inner as in inner product which
> would concatenate lines from multiple files prior to processing.

I would like the option to be called something that people might
google for. I personally would never have googled for outer and inner.
I might have googled for multiply.

Can we come up with an even better word? Maybe something already used elsewhere?

> I'd think something called "--nest" would be handy for situations
> where one wants parallel to invoke parallel.

Which is basically what --nest does:

  parallel -a file1 parallel -a file2 -I {o} echo {} {o}

will be the same as:

  parallel --nest -a file1 -a file2 echo {1} {2}