Re: --nest for nested argument files

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: --nest for nested argument files
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 18:08:08 +0200

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Hans Schou <chlor@schou.dk> wrote:
> 2011/5/3 Ole Tange <tange@gnu.org>:

>> Do you have a better idea for the syntax? Should it be default (and
>> thus the current behaviour would require you to use --xapply)?
>
> I thought --nest was default. I suggest that --keeporder is changed to
> be the one to use if you want to run line by line.

If no one is using the current xapply-like functionality (I think I
have used it once) then I will change the default to nesting and make
the current behaviour available using --xapply.

- o -

--keeporder has nothing to do with --nest. It keep the output in the
same order whether or not there are multiple -a. To understand
--keeporder compare the output of there two:

parallel -k sleep {}\; echo {} ::: 4 1 3 2
parallel sleep {}\; echo {} ::: 4 1 3 2

>> If --nest is combined with -X what would you expect that to do?
>
> I think --arg-file (-a) should conflict or -X should do nothing if
> combined with --arg-file.
> (If I understand -X correctly)

-X makes perfect sense if there is only one -a or input is from a pipe
(which is the normal situation for use of -X)