pspp-users

PSPP -- Scandinavian characters?

From: Paul and/or Minna Brown
Subject: PSPP -- Scandinavian characters?
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 00:17:42 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ben Pfaff <address@hidden> wrote:
> Usually, you use either a DATA LIST statement or a
> .sav file, not both.  To read a .sav file, use
> the GET command, like so:
>         GET FILE='filename.sav'.

Thanks Ben!

Now I've got my next problem, though, which may be a
bit tougher.

I've been using SPSS 15.0.1, and in Finland.  Much to
my surprise, it allows Scandinavian characters (e.g.
ä, ö, å) in variable names.

Pretty sure that's the source of the following error:

error: corrupt system file: tietoyhteiskunta_1.sav:
position 331: character `\304' (&#65533;) is not valid
in a variable name.

Not sure how that bit in the parentheses will show up
for any of you, but on my terminal it's just a black
hexagon with a white question mark inside.

Ah, there we go - changed from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 and
got this version:

error: corrupt system file: tietoyhteiskunta_1.sav:
position 331: character `\304' (Ä) is not valid in a
variable name.

So, that's a big 'A' with two dots over it.  In any
case, is there a work around, or will I just need to
change the variable names in my SPSS file first b4
trying to open it with PSPP?  Ben - I'll send a
separate mail just to you where I include the file -
don't think anyone else will need/want it.

Thanks!

-paul

that gives answers, not web links.