qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mac keyboard not supported

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mac keyboard not supported
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:41:05 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Laurent Amon wrote:

> Selon Johannes Schindelin <address@hidden>:
>
> > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Laurent Amon wrote:
> >
> > > On 28 déc. 04, at 02:16, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> > > >

> > What are the messages for 1..0?
>
> Can't tell you right now, I am at work. It is a mix of accented characters,
> symbols and numbers. Some characters do appear twice.

If they are accented characters, I understand why: Those are non-ASCII,
but Latin-1 characters. Digits, however, should display correctly.

> > > I hacked a workable keyboard (or rather enhanced on a hack Johannes
> > > Fortmann wrote) in july (posted to the list on july 17th and 21st) but
> > > I'd rather build on the current system.
> >
> > You should, as the only way to support different keyboard layouts for
> > other platforms than a PC would be to duplicate the work.
>
> I should... what?

You shoud build on the current system.

> > > I guess that the mac keycodes are different from te PC ones and need an
> > > extra translation. SDL is not perfect in that respect, though I haven't
> > > tries 1.2.8 release.
> >
> > That aspect didn't change AFAIK. Anyway, the keycodes may differ, but
> > *not* the keysyms. The whole purpose of keysyms *is* that they are
> > platform-independent. If they are not correct on the Mac, then SDL has to
> > be fixed.
>
> My old patch did that, by providing extra transcoding. SDL seems to work
> correctly when you are not changing platforms, but here we are trying to
> emulate a PC keyboard under windows when the hardware is a Apple
> keyboard under OSX.

Again, keysyms are meant for cross-platform-compatibility. If you take a
PC or Mac or a Phone, the keysym should not change. If you take a French,
a German or Swedish keyboard layout, the keysym should not change. If it
changes, it's a bug in SDL.

Ciao,
Dscho