quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] fix patch version check in configure.ac

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] fix patch version check in configure.ac
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:22:48 +0000

Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Gary,

Salut Jean,

> On 2006-01-26, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
>> With my UI hat on:  quilt currently has a command "remove" that is used
>> to remove a file from the changed list in the current patch.  The command
>> used to remove a patch from the series is "delete".  For consistency, in
>> these contexts, the message "Failed to delete patch %s\n" makes more
>> sense.
>
> My point exactly. In order to avoid user confusion, we should try to
> stick to the quilt command terminology in messages wherever possible.
> The largest area of confusion is with delete/remove/pop but there are a
> few others.
>
> This needs to be done after the upcoming release though, as this is
> likely to affect a significant number of messages and we do not have the
> time for yet another translation update.

ACK.

While we are on the subject, a colleague that I have shown quilt to
pointed out that he is frustrated by the lack of consistency with the
way patch names are passed to quilt commands:

  Any reason the quilt folks don't have consistent usage of -P/-p:
    quilt add -p [patch] [file ...]
    quilt diff -P [patch] [file ...]
    quilt files [patch]

  Why don't they just use -P everywhere?

I'll generate a patch after the release.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
Gary V. Vaughan      ())_.  address@hidden,gnu.org}