quilt-dev

[Quilt-dev] Strange problem when applying and refreshing a patch

From: Ozan Çağlayan
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Strange problem when applying and refreshing a patch
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 14:20:28 +0300

Hi,

I'm having this weird situation from time to time, couldn't really figure out
the reason and I decided to ask here.

I have a patch generated by "git log -p" which contains 6 consecutive git
commits to the same source file.

I apply the patch using "quilt push" without enforcing and it fails because of
a conflict. The strange part is that
quilt actually applied the 2nd commit in the patch eventhough I didn't enforce
it. AFAIK, quilt should never apply
a patch if there's a conflict in there.

I'm always having this problem when applying that kind of patch file which
contains multiple git commits. Is it possible
that every commit in the file is considered to be a separate patch by quilt?

The consequence of the problem is that a part of the patch is applied during
"quilt push" and when I do "quilt push -f" to enforce the patch,
it gives previously detected patch errors, ignores a big part of the patch. And
after you resolve and refresh the
patch, you just have the part of the patch that failed, the rest of the patch
is truncated.

Here's the patch:

http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~ozan/quilt/r8169-several-fixes-and-new-phys.patch

Here's the unpatched file:
  http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~ozan/quilt/r8169.c

Steps to reproduce the problem:

Just create a fake drivers/net directory and put the r8169.c in it. Import the
patch and push it.
You'll see that it will apply the 2nd commit in it. push it with -f, and then
resolve the conflict,
refresh it, the patch is truncated.

If I'm misusing quilt, just let me know how to deal with that kind of patches.

Thanks,
Ozan Caglayan