quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] Strange problem when applying and refreshing a patch

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Strange problem when applying and refreshing a patch
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 23:19:13 +0200

On Monday, 11 May 2009 22:43:38 Ozan Çağlayan wrote:
> > Phew, I already read the quilt pdf with the known issues section but
> > totally forgot that this example that I've sent was acting always on the
> > same file. I just re-read it and then switched to Suse tarball, and it's
> > fixed. It's sad that the upstream tarballs still dates from 2004.

Right, patch 2.5.9 without additional patches can't properly handle patches
that modify the same file more than once. Several current distro packages
have this fixed.

The next upstream version will also have this fix. (You can get a snapshot for
preview/testing from ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/patch; there will only be minor
bugfixes until the next release.)

> Actually it partially fixed the problem:
>
> * quilt push doesn't apply the 2nd commit in the patch file (expected
> behaviour),
> * quilt push -f works fine, just after pushing -f, quilt diff -z output
> is null,

This is as expected.

> * I resolve the conflict, quilt diff -z output just contains my latest
> modifications, it's fine,

As expected as well.

> * Then I refresh the patch, boom, the initial patch is reduced from 17KB
> to 14KB.

So is this good or bad, and what do you think quilt is doing wrong?

Thanks,
Andreas