Re: [RP] dockapps

From: Cameron Patrick
Subject: Re: [RP] dockapps
Date: Fri Jul 9 21:20:01 2004

Kevin Geiss wrote:

> http://www.desertsol.com/~kevin/screens/040709_ratpoison.jpg
>
> my .xinitrc restores the frameset, then puts all the dockapps in the
> correct frame. it's pretty cool to watch when I log in.

Nifty!  I've have thought that the window numbers used by fdump and
frestore wouldn't be stable though...  The main problem that I can see
with it is that 'C-t Q' does the wrong thing.  You could solve that by
binding C-t Q to an frestore I suppose (though it wouldn't do /quite/
the same thing).

> all the stuff along the bottom of the screen is in its own group, so
> as not to interfere with the normal ratpoison goodness going on in the
> large frame.

I'm not too fond of groups in general but this sounds like a
pretty good use of them.

This post reminded me of an idea of mine that I've been meaning to
post to the mailing list.  I think it would be useful, at times, to
glue together a bunch of frames into a single window (from the
perspective of :windows, :next, :prev, :select etc).  So I could have,
e.g. a few xterms tiled and sitting next to each other, and that would
be just one window that I flick through with 'C-t n' but I could use
the usual frame commands to select a particular xterm.  :windows might
hypothetically show

  0*xterm
  1-xterm, xterm, xterm
  2-XMMS, XMMS Playlist
  3-Mozilla

That would save messing around with fdump/frestore (which I don't
like, partly because they're broken w.r.t. xinerama and I haven't
bothered to fix them yet -- because I don't like them, and so it goes
:-P). This might also be yet another way of making the Gimp more
usable under ratpoison.

It would require introducing 'nested frames' of some sort, which would
be tricky.  I'm not sure quite what the best way to handle this would be.

Cheers,

Cameron.