Re: [RP] dockapps

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: [RP] dockapps
Date: Fri Jul 9 23:00:04 2004

   > This post reminded me of an idea of mine that I've been meaning to
   > post to the mailing list.  I think it would be useful, at times, to
   > glue together a bunch of frames into a single window (from the
   > perspective of :windows, :next, :prev, :select etc).

   > It would require introducing 'nested frames' of some sort, which would
   > be tricky.  I'm not sure quite what the best way to handle this would be.

   I suggest the way to think about this is to have a 'dereference' and,
   er, reference? operations for framesets or windowsets.  Then
   everything else acts as normal, but only upon the current `layer' or
   `level of focus'.

If I can be bold, my point of view is that what's lacking is full
support for an already existing data-structure, usually called a
frameset but more accurately called a "windowframe".  (I.e. a
particular assignment of windows to frames.)  So put windowframes
into a ring that can be traversed by functions :fnext :fprev
:fselect.  Does this avoid nested frames "of some sort"? I'm not
sure.  But it does avoid overloading :windows.

Joe