Re: [RP] dockapps

From: Cameron Patrick
Subject: Re: [RP] dockapps
Date: Sat Jul 10 05:20:07 2004

Joe Corneli wrote:

>    > This post reminded me of an idea of mine that I've been meaning to
>    > post to the mailing list.  I think it would be useful, at times, to
>    > glue together a bunch of frames into a single window (from the
>    > perspective of :windows, :next, :prev, :select etc).
>
>    > It would require introducing 'nested frames' of some sort, which would
>    > be tricky.  I'm not sure quite what the best way to handle this would be.
>
>    I suggest the way to think about this is to have a 'dereference' and,
>    er, reference? operations for framesets or windowsets.  Then
>    everything else acts as normal, but only upon the current `layer' or
>    `level of focus'.

That's the obvious way of doing it from a programming perspective, but
seems poor from a usability perspective.

> If I can be bold, my point of view is that what's lacking is full
> support for an already existing data-structure, usually called a
> frameset but more accurately called a "windowframe".  (I.e. a
> particular assignment of windows to frames.)  So put windowframes
> into a ring that can be traversed by functions :fnext :fprev
> :fselect.  Does this avoid nested frames "of some sort"?

That sounds like you're reimplementing virtual desktops?  [I'm not
really thinking my best at the moment (I've been up for ~15 hours and
had 5 hours' sleep last night) so maybe I'm just not grokking what
you're suggesting.]  Also, :f{next,prev,select} probably aren't the
best names for it as :fselect already exists.

Cameron.