Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Limit creation of log and sesssion data

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Limit creation of log and sesssion data
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:58:47 -0600

> However, other (easier) approaches come to mind:
> 1) Never, ever gzip an empty file. All my error_log files have size
>    108 in stead of 0 zero because they are compressed.
> 2) Don't write any logs or session data if there are no changes.
>    (Make it an option or the default.) This would help a lot!

Yes, I think the error_log file could be skipped if there are no
errors.  Anyone see any drawbacks to this?

I'm not sure what other files this advice would apply to however.
There is only one backup.log file, so no logging means to change in
disk space.  The session_statistics file only takes up about 500
bytes, and can still contain useful statistics (you might want to know
that nothing has changed, how long the session took, etc.).

The mirror_metadata file I would want to keep.  However, the
development versions use diffs on these files, so they should take up
less space than 1.0.x and earlier.

--
Ben Escoto