Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Limit creation of log and sesssion data

From: Hans F. Nordhaug
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Limit creation of log and sesssion data
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:11:12 +0100

* Ben Escoto <address@hidden> [2005-12-15]:

> > However, other (easier) approaches come to mind:
> > 1) Never, ever gzip an empty file. All my error_log files have size
> >    108 in stead of 0 zero because they are compressed.
> > 2) Don't write any logs or session data if there are no changes.
> >    (Make it an option or the default.) This would help a lot!
>
> Yes, I think the error_log file could be skipped if there are no
> errors.  Anyone see any drawbacks to this?

(That would be great.)

> I'm not sure what other files this advice would apply to however.
> There is only one backup.log file, so no logging means to change in
> disk space.  The session_statistics file only takes up about 500
> bytes, and can still contain useful statistics (you might want to know
> that nothing has changed, how long the session took, etc.).

Yes, I can see the use for session_statistics, but couldn't there be
an option equivalent to "--no-file-statistics" to prevent these files
if the user really wants to? (I know I can do this myself, but then I
have to update the code every time a new version is released.)

> The mirror_metadata file I would want to keep.  However, the
> development versions use diffs on these files, so they should take up
> less space than 1.0.x and earlier.

OK, I'll try the development version. (I'm currently running 1.0.3.)

Thx a lot for your reply and keep up the good work!

Hans