Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Limit creation of log and sesssion data

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Limit creation of log and sesssion data
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:36:44 -0600

> Which filesystems allocate disk space for an empty file? AFAIK, ext2 only
> uses an entry in the 'directory', but no blocks for contents. So, by just
> not gzipping an empty file, it will probably take less space already.
>
> I currently use the error_log file as a means to check the result of the
> rdiff-backup run. Attaching the contents of `ls error_log*|tail -n1` to a
> cron email is quite easy, but would give strange results when no error_log
> file was created in the last run.
> While my crude error_log selection line could be adjusted to use e.g. the
> timestamp from the current_mirror file, I really prefer to have all log
> and session files, even if they're empty.

It was a bit more work than I thought, but the patches I just checked
in avoid gzipping 0 length error_log, mirror_metadata,
extended_attributes, and access_control_list files (but all are still
written).

session_statistics files are still written, so if they bug anyone, do
a "rm session_statistics*".

> > The mirror_metadata file I would want to keep.  However, the
> > development versions use diffs on these files, so they should take up
> > less space than 1.0.x and earlier.
>
> OK, I'll try the development version. (I'm currently running 1.0.3.)

Sure, but make sure to keep an eye on your backups since the
development version is the development version.

--
Ben Escoto