[rdiff-backup-users] Limit creation of log and sesssion data

From: Hans F. Nordhaug
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Limit creation of log and sesssion data
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:47:15 +0100

Dear list,

I'm running rdiff-backup 1.0.3 on Debian Testing. I'm using it to take
a backup of a web app every 30 minutes. (There might be better tools
for this, but I like rdiff-backup.) The problem is that quite quickly
the log files and session data becomes larger than the web app. This
is a real problem because I back up the rdiff-backup to an off-line
disc once every day and the off-line back grows and grows.

The problem can be solved by implementing the "Delete Intermediate"
feature request:
<http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/DeleteIntermediate>
However, other (easier) approaches come to mind:
1) Never, ever gzip an empty file. All my error_log files have size
   108 in stead of 0 zero because they are compressed.
2) Don't write any logs or session data if there are no changes.
   (Make it an option or the default.) This would help a lot!
3) I'm already using "--no-file-statistics". Any other options like
   this that could be useful?

I'm aware that I can post process the rdiff-backup-data and remove
empty error_log files and so on, but it's much cleaner if rdiff-backup
cleans up it's own mess :-)

Regards,
Hans - until now a very happy rdiff-backup user