[Savannah-hackers] no free beer, sorry [was: submission of Narya Forum a

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] no free beer, sorry [was: submission of Narya Forum and Project Incubator]
Date: 25 Sep 2003 17:15:43 +0200

Terry Hancock <address@hidden> said:

> On Thursday 25 September 2003 06:23 am, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> > I forgot, please do not forget the comments I made in my first mail
> > about you using the term "opensource"
>
> If you think that I'm going to alter the text on my *own company
> webpages* to HELP you force people into such a stupid conflict,
> then you are mistaken.  And you apparently have a very funny
> idea of what "Freedom" means.
>
> The words "Free Software" and "Open Source", to any disinterested
> observer are simply different contractions of the more precise
> expression "Free-Licensed Open-Source Software".
>
> I have come to the definite conclusion that any distinction
> between these concepts is both SPECIOUS and FACTIOUS and
> serves no function to the developers nor to the users.
>
> If the source isn't open, it can't be free, and if it isn't free, then the
> source isn't open.

This is wrong statement. In many cases you can get access to
proprietary software source code. But you cannot do what you may want
with.

> For software, there is no difference.
>
> This distinction has served only to confuse newcomers, and
> to cause dissention among developers and users.  I refuse
> to take either side in such an irrelevant conflict.

No problem, it's your choice to defend or not to defend the GNU
approach of the subject.

> Sorry.  I withdraw my request.  I am not so desperate for a
> CVS server that I must submit to ideological tyranny to get
> it.

It is the wisest choice. Savannah is not free-beer, it's dedicated to
people that want to make Free Software as defined by the GNU project,
and helping the GNU project philosophical approach.

A little help to this approach is to use the term Free Software.

If this help is something you cannot offer, why looking at GNU project
services?

You used the interesting word tyranny: but in a true tyranny (well,
not really a true tyranny scientifically speaking, but I'll skip that
part, I'm not here to teach Ancient History) you would miss the choice
of withdrawing your request.

You are completely free to benefit from our help if you want to help
us. If you don't, well, what's the problem?

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org
  Not a native english speaker: