Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Voyeur - Linux game hacking too

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Voyeur - Linux game hacking tool - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 05:10:27 -0400

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 10:31:29AM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> To me, freedom to disregard fairness and common rules is an
> harm. Being able to rape any women in the street could be seen as a
> freedom: in this case, this freedom should not be given because it
> creates more harm than anything else.
> (I often use this example to show that every "freedom" should not be
> given)

To me, your analogy isn't correct.  "Being able to" isn't the same as
"having the freedom to".

Any Free Software program can be used to be unfair or to do harm.  But
that doesn't say it is being used that way.

> I think that Savannah should only host Free Software not specifically
> designed to unfair attitude, which, to my mind, is not something that
> Savannah should promote.

For me, Savannah should host any kind of Free Software (that doesn't
rely on non-free software, etc.).

Users have the right to use it for what they want.  It is up to the
user if he uses it for bad things.

> We ask people to use the term Free Software instead of Open Source,
> because we think using Open Source is harming Free Software. So we
> have already a set of rule forbidding harmful attitude.

That is true, but to me these things are for to different.

> Can you think of a use case of this software which not be something
> harmful and unfair?

The program can also be used to fix holes in Free game software.

> If you can, hosting this software would be ok for me. If you cannot, I
> would not agree, I do not like at all the idea to contribute, by
> choice and not by ignorance, to unfair actions.

I agree with your idea.  But for me this program should be approved.

Rudy
Web page                    http://www.webworm.org
GNU/Linux for schools       http://www.nongnu.org/glms
Savannah hacker             http://savannah.gnu.org