[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savane-dev] [IMPORTANT] GNU Savannah migration f

From: Elfyn McBratney
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savane-dev] [IMPORTANT] GNU Savannah migration from Savannah (the Software) to GForge - Why?!
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 04:03:45 +0000

Hello Richard,

On Sunday 11 Apr 2004 02:34, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I'd like people to understand that we are not still considering the
> question.  It is a final decision to switch to Gforge.

I understand that this may be the final decision, if you say so, however I
seriously disagree with your below statement..

> I will give a brief explanation.  We cannot continue using the
> Savannah software because we have no one to maintain it properly.
> GForge is maintained seriously.  Therefore we will switch to GForge.

..Savannah (now Savane) is not an orphan.  It is maintained (AFAIK) my Mathieu
Roy, and very well I might add.  Since when does Mathieu count as "no one"?

The only reason development moved to Gna! (again, AFAIK) is because
development couldn't continue at Savannah as there was:-

  - No CVS or related CVS problems
  - No way to communicate with it's users, etc.

and probably more..  To have stayed at Savannah, IMO, would have meant the
death of the Savane software!

I also take serious issue with the remark that GForge is maintained seriously,
implying that Savane is not.  How can you make such unfounded statements when
(again, AFAIK) you did not contact the Savane developers?  What reason do you
have to believe that Savane is not maintained seriously?

(I'm guessing you did not contact the Savane developers as I see no such
questions of seriousness in the public archives of savannah-dev or
savane-dev.)

If your "not maintained properly" is to do with the fact that Savane is no
longer hosted at savannah.gnu.org, then may I ask when you'll be switching
to another standard C library, compiler, debugger, linker, etc?

I suppose that now you have said this is indeed final, I will have to drop
this now.  Though, I would like to say that, if you are definitely migrating,
I am seriously disappointed in the FSF regarding this decision.

> I don't have time to discuss this further.  I am in the hospital and
> falling behind on my other work.

My sincerest best wishes to you.

Elfyn

- --
Elfyn McBratney, EMCB
mailto:address@hidden
http://www.emcb.co.uk/

PGP Key ID: 0x456548B4
PGP Key Fingerprint:
  29D5 91BB 8748 7CC9 650F  31FE 6888 0C2A 4565 48B4

"When I say something, I put my name next to it." -- Isaac Jaffee

<< ~  Linux london 2.6.5-emcb-241 #2 i686 GNU/Linux  ~ >>