Re: [Simulavr-devel] SimulAvrxx for Win32/don't build for TCL if no TCL

From: Kai Klenovsek
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] SimulAvrxx for Win32/don't build for TCL if no TCL
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:58:58 +0200 (MEST)

IMAO i think it is waste of time to implement SimulAvrxx as package into
Cygwin because most of all Win32 user are not willing to install Cygwin.
They want to use the tool without any extra stuff on their PC`s.
The easiest and fastest way is to make an extra Win32 download version with
the cygwin1.dll here on this project site. I`m willing to make an extra
installer package like e.g Avrdude has.

But at first we should test it :-). I personally get some misterious stack
errors if i call SimulAvrxx with parameters (The -help parameter can be
ignored). I tried to debug it with Gdb-Insight but until now without
success. Did you make any other experiences?

Ciao,
Kai

> Thanks to Kai, and Thanks to Oleg's prodding, I have commited several
> build-related changes to CVS.
>
> 1.)
> It turns out that with the latest "cygwin" environment, simulavrxx
> bulids successfully on the Microsoft Windows platform. (I personally
> built it on MS/Win2k) Make sure that if you built binutils with
> "--prefix=/x/y/z" that /x/y/z/bin is in your path or you will need to
> tell ./configure where the tools are. (by default, /usr/local will be
> used, which should be fine)
>
> I have not tested it on Ms/Win32 yet, so beware though. YMMV ;-)
>
> Now a questions: Who can make a cygwin package for this that can be
> added to the "cygwin"'s setup program? I have looked into this a bit, it
> looks like it should be pretty straightforward technically, but it would
> need a cygwin maintainer I think, if I remember the cywin rules.
>
> 2.)
> Oleg was kind enough to submit a great patch to change how the build
> works. I am a bit stubborn, so I looked it over and didn't exaclty
> accept his patch, but I think I did solve the problems he was pointing
> out, at least to a large degree.
>
> I'm sure I'll hear about it if I missed anything ;-) (seriously, if I
> haven't made life easier or there are more things you would like to see
> different, please let me know. No promises, but I really appreciated
> Oleg's approach to this)

+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f�r Mail, Message, More +++