swarm-gis

Re: I am signed up for this list but have never received any messages. D

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Date: 05 Apr 2000 19:54:53 -0700

KL> There doesn't appear to be too many
KL> people using Swarm integrated with a GIS or spatial data.

Paul Box at Utah State University has a project called Kenge that
integrates ArcInfo output maps with Swarm.  I think he is interested
in getting it into a generally useful form, but he needs time and/or
manpower to get it done.  Jim Kresl gave a demo at SwarmFest that
appeared to involve GRASS (technical matters were not the focus of his
talk).

Based on the ArcInfo propaganda below, it should be easy to integrate
Java Swarm and ArcInfo 8 on NT.  I say this because I've used COM with
Swarm.  (The `msrunexcel' script in the XML heatbugs demos sends data to
Excel via COM for graphing.)

I wonder, though, if there is an analogue for Unix.

http://www.esri.com/news/releases/99_3qtr/ai8_developers.html

         A new feature to GIS software is the ability to work with and
         extend ArcInfo at the lowest level.  The new ArcInfo 8
         applications can, in their entirety, be customized with any
         component object model (COM)-compliant programming language
         (e.g., Visual Basic, Visual C++, Visual J++).  Users and
         developers will find all the components of ArcInfo available
         to embed within non-GIS applications. What is especially
         innovative is the very fine granularity of the COM
         implementation; this is not a COM wrapper around legacy
         code. With more than 1,200 components, hundreds of
         well-documented interfaces, and thousands of methods, ArcInfo
         8 serves as a developer's paradise.

   Swarm-GIS is for discussion of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
   and their integration or use with Swarm.  For list administration
   needs (esp. [un]subscribing), please send a message to
   <address@hidden> with "help" in the body of the message.