swarm-gis

Re: I am signed up for this list but have never received any messages.

From: Darren Schreiber
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 23:10:20 -0700

My group at UCLA Law School is eventually planning to bring in modified
Census data into our update of the Schelling model.  Our idea is to import
the racial housing data of cities in the 1970s and see if they follow the
dynamics of the empirical data.  I'm not ambitious enough to try and use
actual census boundaries, etc.  We are simply going to preprocess the data
and fit it onto some approximate grids.  Then I am planning to use Scheme
or HDF5 to bring the data into Swarm.

It would be fabulous to run the simulation by bringing in geographic files,
but just I think that will stay a long term goal for quite some time.

        Darren

>KL> There doesn't appear to be too many
>KL> people using Swarm integrated with a GIS or spatial data.
>
>Paul Box at Utah State University has a project called Kenge that
>integrates ArcInfo output maps with Swarm.  I think he is interested
>in getting it into a generally useful form, but he needs time and/or
>manpower to get it done.  Jim Kresl gave a demo at SwarmFest that
>appeared to involve GRASS (technical matters were not the focus of his
>talk).
>
>Based on the ArcInfo propaganda below, it should be easy to integrate
>Java Swarm and ArcInfo 8 on NT.  I say this because I've used COM with
>Swarm.  (The `msrunexcel' script in the XML heatbugs demos sends data to
>Excel via COM for graphing.)
>
>I wonder, though, if there is an analogue for Unix.
>
>http://www.esri.com/news/releases/99_3qtr/ai8_developers.html
>
>         A new feature to GIS software is the ability to work with and
>         extend ArcInfo at the lowest level.  The new ArcInfo 8
>         applications can, in their entirety, be customized with any
>         component object model (COM)-compliant programming language
>         (e.g., Visual Basic, Visual C++, Visual J++).  Users and
>         developers will find all the components of ArcInfo available
>         to embed within non-GIS applications. What is especially
>         innovative is the very fine granularity of the COM
>         implementation; this is not a COM wrapper around legacy
>         code. With more than 1,200 components, hundreds of
>         well-documented interfaces, and thousands of methods, ArcInfo
>         8 serves as a developer's paradise.
>
>                  ==================================
>   Swarm-GIS is for discussion of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
>   and their integration or use with Swarm.  For list administration
>   needs (esp. [un]subscribing), please send a message to
>   <address@hidden> with "help" in the body of the message.

                 Darren Schreiber
                  Attorney at Law
                 Graduate Student