Re: Swarm on MacUnix

From: Theodore C. Belding
Subject: Re: Swarm on MacUnix
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 12:31:27 -0500

At 1:20 PM 1/3/96, Alessandro Perrone wrote:
>hi all
> I have compiled, with a few tips, Swarm on Machten, a Unix for Macintosh
>system.
>Now it works on Quadra 950 with 36Mb ram and 1Gb hard disk, and on a
>Powerbook (8M ram e 500Mb Hd)
>Actually I'm trying to port Swarm on MAchten for PPC

I've been investigating the possibility of porting Swarm to Power Macs for
a year now, and as far as I know there's currently no way to do this.  The
problem is that there is no Obj C compiler for the Power Mac (or for any
other platforms using POWER or PowerPC chips), due to a "feature" of the
gcc Obj C runtime.  gcc will produce code for 680x0 Macs (I assume this is
what you used for MachTen), but it won't produce Obj C code for PPC (nor is
there a good gcc port to the MacOS, as opposed to MachTen). (Stepstone
offers an Obj C compiler for 680x0 Macs (under MPW) -- you might also be
able to get Stepstone's source and try to port it to the PPC, but I'm not
sure if this would help you much, since it's a different dialect of Obj C.)

If you want the gory details on the gcc Obj C problem, see:
http://www.marble.com/people/affiliates/gsk/oc-rs6000-problems.html
There's a hack of sorts for AIX, along with Cygnus's view of the problem, at:
ftp://ftp.slac.stanford.edu/pub/sources/aixObjCpatches

Happy New Year!
-Ted

--
Ted Belding                  address@hidden or address@hidden
University of Michigan          Division of Computer Science and Engineering