Re: The Weekly Pheromone Vol. 3, Issue 1

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: The Weekly Pheromone Vol. 3, Issue 1
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 07:13:37 -0600

>       I'm not completely sure that this is the right list for this
>posting, but ... I'm following the reply-to of the Weekly Pheromone.
>
>       The news about the Swarm Development Program are
>wonderful. This is very important for me, as I'm planning to start (in
>September or in October) a permanent seminar on Agent Based Modeling
>and Swarm, in my Department of Economics (Dipartimento di Scienze
>economiche e finanziarie =93G.Prato=94), = in the University of
>Turin. If other 'swarmers' in the same area would be interested in
>cooperating, I'll be very happy.

This is great news!

>       Always following the news about the Swarm Development Program,
>a idea: the suggestion of creating a Swarm Journal, in electronic
>form, to publish short and long papers about ABM and Swarm:
>theoretical discussions, preliminary draft, comparative works ...

And this is a killer idea.  ["killer" is pseudo-surfer lingo from
around the early 80's and means "very good" or "unbearably exciting"]

I think a Swarm Developer's Journal or somesuch would be a good
place to begin establishing a real body of referencable work.
One of the things we've been mulling over for awhile is where to
publish papers about Swarm and what to put in them.  It's obvious
to choose journals like ACM's TOMACS and TOPLAS; but, we've had
people suggest publications like the journal of Computational and
Mathematical Organization Theory.  And it's hard to tell what might
be the proper venue.  Plus, we'd like to begin moving forward on
our ideas of publishing models using Swarm where the code is actually
part of the model and should be available from the same place as
the article that references it.  And it seems that the only natural
way to achieve that is to start our own journal.

Any ideas as to how to take the first step?

glen
--
{glen e. p. ropella <address@hidden> |  Send lawyers, guns, and money!  }
{Hive Drone, SFI Swarm Project         |            Hail Eris!            }