Some goodies

From: Benedikt Stefansson
Subject: Some goodies
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 19:38:31 -0700

Y'all,

I've received several requests lately for material that I put together
in order to teach and talk about Swarm at various occasions. This
afternoon
I finally  got around to rewamping some of my web pages and putting this
stuff
where it is accessible. The main link is:

    http://cce.sscnet.ucla.edu/swarmcourse

The material is organized as follows:

a)    Lecture notes on Swarm & Heatbugs

http://cce.sscnet.ucla.edu/swarmcourse/LectureIntro.html

Web based lecture notes from a course on Swarm given at UCLA
in November 1996. You'll find slides from the first lecture, which are
not
much to look at and weightier material  from the second lecture, which
dissects the Heatbug application:

    http://cce.sscnet.ucla.edu/swarmcourse/Lecture2/Lecture2.html

b) Overheads from said lectures

http://cce.sscnet.ucla.edu/swarmcourse/material/overheads.pdf

Overheads from lecture about Swarm, in PDF format. Probably not very
useful without the talk, but you're welcome to have a look at them.
You'll need Acrobat to print this out.

c) Paper on using Swarm in economic modeling.

"Swarm: An Object Oriented Simulation Platform Applied to Markets and
Organizations"
(published in Evolutionary Programming VI, Springer Verlag 1997).

PDF format:
http://cce.sscnet.ucla.edu/swarmcourse/material/indianapolis.pdf
PostScript  :
http://cce.sscnet.ucla.edu/swarmcourse/material/indianapolis.ps

d) Pretty version of SwarmBug tutorial, code and explanations

http://cce.sscnet.ucla.edu/swarmcourse/material/tutorial.pdf

A PDF version of code and notes from SwarmBug tutorial application
(code by Chris Langton). This is currently the best starting point to
explore
Swarm, simpler than Heatbugs and comes with excellent documentation.

I find this easier to print and look at than to browse each individual
file.
The link above points to a PDF (Acrobat) file, but you can also download
it
in Word 7.0 for Windows or Word for Macintosh (which works well also if
you have an older version of Word for Windows).

Word 7.0: http://cce.sscnet.ucla.edu/swarmcourse/material/tutorial.doc
Mac        :
http://cce.sscnet.ucla.edu/swarmcourse/material/tutorial.mcw

Enjoy,
-Benedikt

Benedikt Stefansson                 address@hidden
Department of Economics, UCLA       Fax. (310) 825-9528
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1477          Tel. (310) 825-1777