Re: minor "bug" in heatbugs: Heatbugs almost always move

From: Catherine Dibble
Subject: Re: minor "bug" in heatbugs: Heatbugs almost always move
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 07:14:35 -0800

There is another subtle bug in Heatbug movement.  When
a bug is trying to decide whether to put itself somewhere,
it first checks the spot to see if it is occupied.  If it is
occupied, then it begins looping (up to 10) to look for a
different spot (based on random search, although this isn't
the "random move" that is affected by RandomMoveProbability).

The problem is that if a Heatbug has been planning to stay in
the same place, then it looks at that spot and finds, lo!, that
it is occupied -- thus beginning its cycle of random move
search for some other spot.  Ever wondered why every
heatbug in the landscape always seems to move at each turn?
(This drove me nuts for a while, since I need my heatbugs to
stay put if they are happiest in that spot.)

Catherine

| Catherine Dibble         |                                            |
| Department of Geography  |   The most exciting phrase to hear in      |
| University of California |   science, the one that heralds new        |
| Santa Barbara, CA 93106  |   discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found   |
|                          |   it!) but "That's funny..."               |
| address@hidden       |                                            |
| www.geog.ucsb.edu/~cath  |                       -- Isaac Asimov      |