Re: JAVA & WindowNT

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: JAVA & WindowNT
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 09:24:18 -0600

At 01:29 PM 2/6/98 GMT, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Well, it's come that time of year with the Sun in Aquarius to buy
>hardware and upgrade software ... if only to have a reason to feel sorry
>for oneself when Sun moves into Pisces on 21st.
>
>I'll take this opportunity to upgrade to RedHat 5.0 and
>swarm-1.0.5. Is the Java Swarm going to need WindowsNT? In which case
>I might as well bite the bullet now and install a dual boot system.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve

Awww, Steve -- go ahead, live dangerously and bite that bullet ...

Even if swarm-with-Java-GUI doesn't *require* NT, it reportedly will run
there if you try. And later swarms, if wholly ported to Java, will run
anywhere (SUN amd Microsoft willing). I'm sure it will be nice to be able
to show newbies that have not been initiated into the arcana of Linux that
they can have Swarm running in that other, more familiar environment (hiss,
boo) ...

FWIW, I use Partition Magic to slice&dice my disk(s), and this is a
must-have utility. (If only they'd get around to adding code that would
shrink and expand ext2 partitions!) I used to use the IBM BootManager
(comes with PM), but it takes up a whole primary partition for itself. I
now use System Commander, which lives in a DOS partition (which I can then
fill with other useful utility software as well.) Or, you *could* use
Linux's LILO, or NT's bootloader ...

Have fun,
--Sven