Re: Install on SuSE Linux

From: Matthew Aylward EG201 G219 SL CKR
Subject: Re: Install on SuSE Linux
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 08:53:12 +0800

Paul E. Johnson wrote:

> Is SUSE 5.1 built on glibc?

No SuSE still uses the old libc

> Some particulars of your installation do not use the newest available
> libraries.  The "libtclobjc" is now in version 1.2, called tclobjc.

The tclobjc I used was from the swarm site, I did not want to risk
getting a version elsewhere in case it was incompatible

> BLT2.3 works fine. There are various ways to make the dynamic linker
> find it.  First step is to make a symlink from libBLT2.3.so to libBLT.so.
> Then add the directory that has that file to the list of places the ld
> searches. It is not necessary to compile that into /usr. I wouldn't do
> it, simply to keep the system clean.

I agree entirely, I put it in /usr out of frustration and impatience. I
have only just changed over to SuSE from Caldera and am still not used
to the subtle differences, so I still try to do things the
Caldera/RedHat way.
I am already a little irritated at myself because one of my aims with a
completely new and fresh linux install was to keep a totally clean and
organised system. I will probably clean it up and redo it soon.
I am VERY impressed with the SuSE distribution though, it has a lot of
very nice features.

>  In the newest version of the FAQ, I wrote some of this down:
> http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/FAQ-2.html.
> After that version of the FAQ gets proofread and test driven (possibly
> by people on this list) I expect it will be transferred to the SFI web
> pages.

I am heading to the site to get it NOW, I will have a good look at it.

> Paul Johnson

Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Matt