Re: still Drag'n'Drop problem.

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: still Drag'n'Drop problem.
Date: 07 Jun 1999 13:11:41 -0600

[...]

DJ> It is my feeling too! I hope this bug will get fixed and/or that
DJ> it will not appear in the Java GUIed version of swarm!

Just to make sure there's no misunderstandings, what we intend to
release in Swarm 2.0 is *not* a Java GUI version of Swarm, but an
add-on feature to the Objective C version that will allow you to write
your applications (using the Swarm API) in Java.  We are using the
Java Native Interface (JNI) which is part of the JDK to accomplish
this.

This means that (for the time being, at least) you will still see
Tcl/Tk widgets appear on your screen, not Java ones.

A rewrite of the widget toolkit in Java AWT/Swing, while desirable in
the long-term, is little down the road at this point.  The interface
to the GUI features (the Swarm `gui' library, however should remain
constant, as it now designed to be widget-backend agnostic).

Regards,

 --- Alex

--
  Alex Lancaster           |  e-mail: address@hidden