Re: Anybody try CodeWarrior for Linux?

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Anybody try CodeWarrior for Linux?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 09:42:45 -0500

Benedikt Stefansson wrote:

> Has anyone had a chance to look at the new CodeWarrior GNU for Linux?
> They only claim to support C/C++ but since the compiler is EGCS,
> shouldn't Objective-C also work?
Yes, I've used it.

In my opinion, it was frustrating because the Swarm setup is designed to
use Makefiles and there is the include of the makefile stuff in
Makefile.appl.  Since MW, and the free (nice!) clone of it called Code
Commander, do not use standard Makefiles, there is some fiddling you
have to do to make sure all the system Makefile ingredients are
incorporated.  After you fight through that problem, it seems OK, but
you are right, as far as I see, their class browser doesn't work with
Obj-C.  They use the native linux compilers, at least in the version
they labeled "for redhat linux".

I was eager to use it because I still hate emacs, but I quit because I
worried about the long term potential of using MW with Swarm.  Since the
Swarm developers use emacs, and in windows Swarm is supplied with emacs,
one is afraid of being left out in the cold using some other
editor/environment.  There are some really handy things about emacs, as
demonstrated by Marcus's example code in the last couple of months. I
like that a lot.