Re: Anybody try CodeWarrior for Linux?

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Anybody try CodeWarrior for Linux?
Date: 22 Jun 1999 14:25:55 -0700

JVP> I fully understand that all this is a matter of preference and
JVP> moreover experience, hard-core unix programmers will probably not
JVP> see my problem at all. However, now that Swarm is entering onto
JVP> broader audience's stages, maybe it is an idea to allow for less
JVP> experienced programmers to get quicker up to speed with it
JVP> through incorporation in (e.g.) CW's IDE.

The goal we have is to make Swarm interfaces available to popular Java IDEs.¹
This goal will be facilitated, but not acheived, with the 2.0 release
of Swarm.

First of all, Swarm interfaces need to be declared as `Java Beans'.
Secondly, for Windows users, the Cygwin DLL that we use has problems being
embedded in non-Cygwin environments.

To get out of this Cygwin DLL contraint we either need to wait for the
Cygwin developers to eliminate its embedability problems, fix them
ourselves, or rework the build environment to avoid dependence on
the Cygwin Tcl/Tk.  What we *won't* do is start splitting off variant
build environments just to get minor Windows-integration improvements,
or get ourselves in the situation where any dependent library of a Swarm
model isn't buildable from freely redistributable source code.

Meanwhile, standalone Cygwin-based Java runtimes like Kaffe² work fine
for Windows.

For the existing base of Objective C Swarm modelers, WebObjects³
features a visual programming application called Interface Builder that is
both very flexible and easy to use.  In order to support WebObjects,
we need to eliminate the `phase machinery' from Swarm (in defobj) and
make use only portable interfaces to the Objective C runtime.  This
won't get done for 2.0, unfortunately.

*Ohhh*, so you don't want to pay for an IDE?  May I suggest GNU Emacs?
There's even a Java IDE (http://sunsite.auc.dk/jde).

¹ http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/vajava
² http://www.transvirtual.com
³ WebObjects is what the NeXTstep/OpenStep environment evolved into at Apple.
  http://www.apple.com/webobjects