RE: Anybody try CodeWarrior for Linux?

From: van der Pol, Jurgen
Subject: RE: Anybody try CodeWarrior for Linux?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:38:47 +0200

> Has anyone had a chance to look at the new CodeWarrior GNU for Linux?
> They only claim to support C/C++ but since the compiler is EGCS,
> shouldn't Objective-C also work?

I have started using it, but failed to get ObjC/Swarm code working so
far. This has undoubtedly to do with my inexperience here. I asked MW
twice to clarify this issue (ObjC support) for me, but they have not
responded in depth or conclusively to my prodding...

> extremely scarce, but it seems that this limited version of the IDE is
> hardly worth the (low) price of entry.

Hmm. My 0.02c's worth as a complete newbie to Linux/C/ObjC/Swarm (with
no programming background save some TurboPascal at the university way
back): I was -very- happy to be able to use CW's 'discover programming
edition' (W95) to teach myself some basics on C these past weeks. I
would very much like to see Swarm incorporated within such an IDE, it
would appear to make coding much more accessible for the likes of me. I
am losing a whole lot of very precious time in climbing the utterly
frustrating Linux (emacs etc) learning curve (getting it to work in the
first place, then understanding what it is I'm doing), time I would
rather have spent dabbling in Swarm. Take MIT's Starlogo for example,
kids can use it. I chose Swarm for my research however for the
expectation I have on its depth & flexibility in the end. Swarm as a
toolbox 'behind' a well evolved IDE like CWs' (including debugger/help
files etc) would however still be the ticket for me.

I fully understand that all this is a matter of preference and moreover
experience, hard-core unix programmers will probably not see my problem
at all. However, now that Swarm is entering onto broader audience's
stages, maybe it is an idea to allow for less experienced programmers to
get quicker up to speed with it through incorporation in (e.g.) CW's
IDE.

Until then, I'm biting the bullit.

Cheers,
Jurgen van der Pol