Re: sets

From: Ken Cline
Subject: Re: sets
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 11:30:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Jonathan Impett wrote:

> [inventionset count] does indeed return 2 (the correct answer!). Thanks
> - does that mean I should ignore the value returned by getCount, or am I
> using it wrongly? (what else can you do with an int; but maybe anObject
> is not the correct argument?)
>     Jonathan

I could be wrong, but I think this is a bug.  The
implementation of Set uses a List object internally and the
`count' method returns result of calling `count' on that
internal List.  The bug is that the Set_c class should
override the `getCount' method inherited from the
Collection_any class so that it too gets the count from the
internal List.  The "count" ivar in Set_c is superfluous.
(Did that make sense?  Sorry, that's probably more than you
wanted to know, eh?)

Anyway, the `count' method was replaced by `getCount' (ie
`count' is deprecated).  You *should* use `getCount' but in
this case...

If you got the time, it should be pretty easy to fix the bug
and submit a patch to Marcus or, preferably, address@hidden
If you don't, I'll probably have a chance to do that later
today.  (Of course, by now Marcus, if he's "online", has
probably got this all fixed... He's so damn quick sometimes!
I usually see his patch before I see the orginial post!)

Ken.

Ken Cline                             address@hidden
SAIC                                 VOICE (410) 571-0413
Annapolis, MD                          FAX (301) 261-8427