Re: Humble Apology

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Humble Apology
Date: 25 Jun 1999 08:17:44 -0700

GB> I wanna slam a JAR file into JBuilder, play BeanBox, and deploy on
GB> the web tomorrow. There are no inherent technical limitations
GB> preventing it.

Since JBuilder supports JNI, there shouldn't be a problem.

GB> And Especially, Most Importantly, Most Crucially, Get Rid of the
GB> Damned Prereq S/w.... Just one JAR file. The world is a Better
GB> Place now.

For Windows, it will be one JAR file, and one DLL.  The DLL will be
fully linked, so there won't be prerequisite software to build and
install.  (Not that it was particuarly a problem on Windows anyway,
since that was all done by InstallShield.)

For Unix, I'd like to have binary distributions for all popular
platforms that have an installer program.  Besides being a fair amount
of work, that's hard for us to do because, usually, either root
privileges, or some kind of non-trivial sysadmin preconfiguration is
required to create an environment suitable for installing the
resulting packages for testing.

Today, Paul Johnson provides Redhat RPMs, and we provide Debian,
and Solaris binary packages.  The Debian installer recursively handles
installation prerequisites, so whether are one or a hundred dependent
packages, you only have to ask for the Swarm install.